A few months ago, I decided to try and limit my bread and pasta intake.
AKA, I can't remember the last time I had a sandwich.
Weeeeelllll, if you don't consider these Hawaiian Pork Sliders a member of the sandwich category. Or the french bread with meats and cheeses that I stuffed in my face while wine tasting on Saturday. I suppose that bread-meats-cheeses is a deconstructed sandwich. Scratch that "I can't remember..." comment above. I had my last sandwich on Saturday.
Bottom line, I am trying to fill my stomach with foods that provide my body with lots of good energy -- lean protein, fruits and vegetables. I feel better eating this way.
Pizza isn't a common food occurrence in our house so this recipe was a nice, still healthful, treat. It was also a quick, vegetarian dinner for a weeknight. We had big bowls of delicious salad before said pizza and I limited myself to a serving size, which you may be surprised to find out is not half of the prepared pizza.
Asparagus and Three Cheese Pizza
- 1 whole wheat pizza crust -- I buy the whole wheat pizza dough from Trader Joe's and then prep it according to package instructions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 8 ounces fresh asparagus, sliced in half lengthwise and then into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 5 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Black pepper
- If using pizza dough, prepare according to package instructions.
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Combine the olive oil and minced garlic in a small bowl. Brush over the crust.
- Sprinkle mozzarella evenly over the olive oil and garlic sauce, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges of the crust.
- Top the mozzarella with an even layer of asparagus, goat cheese and parmesan. Sprinkle with black pepper.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until crust is browned around the edges and the cheese is bubbly and just starting to brown.
- Slice and serve.