These are good on their own but I think these would be even better topped with fresh avocado slices and a few drops of your favorite hot sauce. I think that avocado and hot sauce make most things better.
Oh, and while you could use regular bacon, I opted for turkey bacon and still found them to be delicious. According to my calculations, each egg muffin, without toppings, is approximately 115 calories. Two of these are a perfect, substantial workday breakfast for me.
Makes: 8 muffins
8 slices turkey or regular* bacon
8 whole eggs or egg whites
A handful of arugula, chopped
2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
Avocado and hot sauce for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- Wrap a piece of bacon around the inside of each cup of the muffin tin. Divide the chopped arugula and diced tomatoes between the cups.
- Crack an egg into each cup (or pour in egg whites) and top with a pinch of garlic powder.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until eggs are set. Let cool slightly and then pop out muffins to eat immediately or pack up and refrigerate for a future grab-and-go meal.
* If you use regular bacon, you will probably want to transfer the cooked muffins to paper towels to soak up some of the grease.