I don't blame them for taking so many years to realize that brussels sprouts are awesome. I mean, I didn't know I liked them until I was in my mid-20s. My parents don't like them so I never tried them until a very nice friend showed me the light.
|Ready to be roasted.
|Shredded with olive oil, lemon juice and avocado.
Shortly after our lunch, I received an e-mail from one of our friends with a brussels sprouts recipe he had just made at home and loved. I quickly added it to our list of recipes to try. After a couple batches, I think I've found the combination of ingredients that we like best.
Feel free to adjust the amounts to your liking. For example, I won't judge you if you use an entire package of bacon. Promise.
Balsamic & Bacon Brussels Sprouts
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, halved
- 1/2 red onion, chopped into large pieces
- 4 slices bacon, chopped into large pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400º.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the brussels sprouts, red onion and bacon and toss to coat.
- Dump everything onto a large, lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until the brussels sprouts have softened and bacon is nice and crispy.
*Or less, depending on how much you like Brussels Sprouts. My honey and I can easily finish off a batch, just the two of us.