Over a month since completing our first round of Whole30, we have carried forward a lot of the concepts. One is eating a good, protein-rich breakfast.
During the work week, I typically eat a couple hard boiled eggs and a piece of fruit. I prep a big batch of hard boiled eggs on Sunday, which gets me through the week. On the weekends, I sometimes "splurge" and cook up a sausage and egg dish. The great part is, it takes all of 10 minutes to make. Tops. Especially easy and tasty after a long run.
The ingredients and directions below are for one person. Just scale it up if you're cooking for more than one.
Favorite Whole30 Breakfast: Sausage, Fried Eggs, & Fresh Tomato
- 1 Trader Joe's garlic and herb chicken sausage, sliced (or other compliant sausage)
- 1-2 eggs, cracked into a small bowl
- 1 teaspoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 small tomato or piece of fruit of your choice, sliced
- Salt and black pepper
- French's yellow mustard (or other compliant mustard of your choice)
- Cholula hot sauce (or other compliant hot sauce of your choice)
- Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, a few minutes.
- Drop heat to medium-low and push the sausage to one side of the pan. Add ghee to the now empty side. Carefully pour in the egg(s), tilting the pan slightly for a few seconds to keep it away from the sausage. Season egg with black pepper. Let egg cook over the heat for a minute, until bottom is set.
- Remove the pan from the heat and cover. Let sit for 2-3 minutes, until the whites are set and the yellow is still runny. (Let it sit longer, if you like your yellows more firm.)
- Carefully slide the sausage and eggs to a plate and add the tomato/fruit. Sprinkle tomato with salt and top sausage and eggs with mustard and hot sauce, if desired.