|Three Bean Chili w/ Baked Potato|
Just for the record, I ate lots of leftover non-vegetarian Irish stew for lunch today so I must admit that our "Meatless Monday" is occasionally "Meatless Monday Dinner Followed By Leftovers for Meatless Tuesday Lunch." With plenty of leftovers from tonight's dinner, this will definitely be the case this week.
|One bean... two beans... three beans!|
Three Bean Chili
Total time: 30 minutes (Prep time: 5 minutes; Cooking time: 20-25 minutes)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
3 tablespoons chili powder
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
28 ounce can diced tomatoes, including liquid
1-2 teaspoons chipotle chili in adobo sauce, finely chopped
1 (15 ounce) can black beans
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
Salt and pepper
Baked potatoes, jalapeño cornbread or warmed tortillas, for serving
Optional toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, French fried onions, green onions
- Drain and rinse the three cans of beans and set aside.
- In a medium Dutch oven or pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, cumin and chili powder. Stir and cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, stir, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes and chopped chipotle chili. Bring to a bubble and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the beans and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, to let all the flavors mingle.
- Just before serving, stir in the cilantro and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour chili over baked potatoes or divide into bowls and serve with warmed tortillas for dipping. Add toppings of your choice.