I spent this past weekend with a group of fabulous ladies. For breakfast on Saturday morning I made an egg bake that I have made for a number of get togethers and it is always very popular.
This is a perfect make ahead recipe because it needs to chill overnight in the fridge. It is best served warm from the oven but is also good at room temperature. I have only made it according to the recipe below but have plans to throw in some spinach the next time.
I have to give a shout out to my wonderful honey because, even though he hates eggs, he got this recipe for me from his coworker after it was scarfed down at a work potluck.
Servings: 8 - 10
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Rest time: Overnight
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 9 slices white bread, crusts removed and cut into large chunks
- 1.5 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 6 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8-ounce package sliced mushrooms
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 8 eggs
- 1.5 cups milk
- Salt and pepper
- Cooking spray
- Place the bread in the bottom of a large greased baking pan.
- Top bread with shredded cheese.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and cook bacon until brown and crispy. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Carefully wipe out bacon grease from the skillet and add the olive oil. Add green onions and mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are browned.
- Layer the cooked veggies and bacon on top of the bread and cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture into the baking dish and cover with saran wrap. Place in the refrigerate and chill overnight.
- After the dish has rested overnight, bake in a 350º F oven, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until the top starts to brown. (The eggs may still be a little wiggly but will firm up when cooling.)
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.