|Our new kitchen!|
On to the recipe...
|Grilled Chicken Parmesan.|
Yes, it is covered in cheese but this is still a healthier alternative to a breaded and fried chicken parmigiana. It is based off a Rachael Ray, 30 Minute Meal recipe.
|Basil ready for a chiffonade.|
|Tomato sauce simmering.|
|Slices of smoked mozzarella.|
Grilled Chicken Parmesan
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (~ 2 pounds)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- A few pinches crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 14.5 ounce cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 large handful of basil leaves, chopped
- 1 large handful of shredded Parmesan
- 8 ounces smoked mozzarella, sliced
- Heat indoor or outdoor grill. Season chicken with salt and pepper and grill until cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the tomato sauce.
- Heat two tablespoons olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion and red pepper and cook until onion is translucent, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and simmer over low heat, stirring frequently.
- When chicken is ready, remove the tomato sauce from the heat and stir in the basil.
- Slice each chicken breast into three pieces and arrange in a single layer in the bottom of a baking dish. Pour tomato sauce over the chicken. Sprinkle parmesan over the sauce and top with smoked mozzarella slices.
- Place the baking dish under a broiler set on high for 3 - 5 minutes until the cheese is nicely melted and begins to brown.
We enjoyed this main dish with a side of farfalle pasta with butter and parmesan and delicious shredded brussels sprouts.