- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 2 green onions, white and green parts thinly sliced
- French fried onions
- Salt and pepper
- Quarter the red potatoes, place in a stock pot and cover with water.
- Bring pot to a boil and cook until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, 15 - 20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and return to the pot.
- Add the butter and smash the potatoes until butter is melted.
- Add the buttermilk slowly while continuing to mash to desired consistency.
- Stir in the sliced green onions. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with french fried onions as an optional* topping.