|Beans drained and rinsed.|
|Roasted bell peppers.|
|Mashed black beans.|
|Red onion, green bell pepper, and garlic.|
|Green bell pepper, red onion, and garlic mixture.|
|Grilling the burgers and red onion slices.|
Black Bean Burgers with Roasted Bell Peppers and Spicy Aioli
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red onion, halved
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon chili powder, divided
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1 teaspoon + a few dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or sour cream
- Optional toppings: cheese, grilled red onion, avocado or guacamole, sauteed mushrooms, salsa
- Combine 1/4 cup mayonnaise or sour cream, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, and a few dashes hot sauce in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat the broiler and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place the red bell pepper and half the green bell pepper, skin side up on the baking sheet.
- Broil until the skins begin to turn black, approximately 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and place in a plastic bag or container, sealed, for 10 minutes. (This will make the skins much easier to remove.) Remove the peppers and peel. Thinly slice and set aside.
Black Bean Burgers
- While the peppers are broiling, prepare the black bean burgers.
- Preheat an indoor grill or skillet over medium heat.
- Pour the drained and rinsed black beans into a medium size bowl and mash with a fork.
- Cut one half of the red onion into large chunks and place in a food processor with the garlic and remaining green bell pepper. Process until finely minced.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic mixture to the beans and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon cumin, and 1 teaspoon hot sauce. Stir to combine.
- Add the egg and spice mixture to the beans and stir to combine.
- Stir in the bread crumbs, a spoonful at a time until the mixture begins to stick together.
- Divide the mixture into four equal portions and form into burgers. Put the burgers on a parchment paper lined plates, cover in plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
- Thickly slice the remaining half of the red onion to grill or cook in pan.
- When ready to cook, rub both sides of each burger with a little olive oil and place on grill or in pan. Cook for 8 minutes per side or until each side begins to brown and the burgers are cooked through. Cook the red onion slices along with the burgers.
- Top each burger with spicy aioli, a slice of grilled red onion, roasted bell peppers, and additional toppings of choice.
This recipe was based on the Black Bean Veggie Burger recipe at allrecipes.com.
Looks and sounds incredibly yummy! I've been looking for a bean burger recipe that can stand up to being cooked on a grill. I really like the idea of adding the breadcrumbs last and just until the correct consistency is reached.ReplyDelete
Enjoyed thoroughly by the whole family (no buns or topping necessary!) The burgers have a great texture and mean kick. I fried them gently in olive oil just so they'd be done faster.ReplyDelete
Top rated SEO Horseshoe Bay