|Beans drained and rinsed.|
|Roasted bell peppers.|
|Mashed black beans.|
|Red onion, green bell pepper, and garlic.|
|Green bell pepper, red onion, and garlic mixture.|
|Grilling the burgers and red onion slices.|
Black Bean Burgers with Roasted Bell Peppers and Spicy Aioli
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red onion, halved
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon chili powder, divided
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1 teaspoon + a few dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or sour cream
- Optional toppings: cheese, grilled red onion, avocado or guacamole, sauteed mushrooms, salsa
- Combine 1/4 cup mayonnaise or sour cream, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, and a few dashes hot sauce in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat the broiler and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place the red bell pepper and half the green bell pepper, skin side up on the baking sheet.
- Broil until the skins begin to turn black, approximately 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and place in a plastic bag or container, sealed, for 10 minutes. (This will make the skins much easier to remove.) Remove the peppers and peel. Thinly slice and set aside.
Black Bean Burgers
- While the peppers are broiling, prepare the black bean burgers.
- Preheat an indoor grill or skillet over medium heat.
- Pour the drained and rinsed black beans into a medium size bowl and mash with a fork.
- Cut one half of the red onion into large chunks and place in a food processor with the garlic and remaining green bell pepper. Process until finely minced.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic mixture to the beans and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon cumin, and 1 teaspoon hot sauce. Stir to combine.
- Add the egg and spice mixture to the beans and stir to combine.
- Stir in the bread crumbs, a spoonful at a time until the mixture begins to stick together.
- Divide the mixture into four equal portions and form into burgers. Put the burgers on a parchment paper lined plates, cover in plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
- Thickly slice the remaining half of the red onion to grill or cook in pan.
- When ready to cook, rub both sides of each burger with a little olive oil and place on grill or in pan. Cook for 8 minutes per side or until each side begins to brown and the burgers are cooked through. Cook the red onion slices along with the burgers.
- Top each burger with spicy aioli, a slice of grilled red onion, roasted bell peppers, and additional toppings of choice.
This recipe was based on the Black Bean Veggie Burger recipe at allrecipes.com.