This salad is an easy, make ahead dish and is perfect for summer potlucks or picnics since it is dairy-free. I made it as one of our dinner sides last night and it went perfectly with roast chicken and mashed cauliflower. Fresh, healthy and delicious.
|Thinly sliced red onion.|
|Red onion, garlic, lemon juice and salt.|
|Close up of salad.|
White Bean and Spinach Salad
- 1 medium red onion, very thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 (15 ounce) cans cannellini (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced red onion, minced garlic, lemon juice and salt.
- In a small saucepan, heat the olive oil on a burner on medium-high heat. Once hot, about two minutes, pour olive oil over red onion mixture and stir to combine.
- Let the red onion mixture rest at room temperature for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cannellini and baby spinach.
- Season with black pepper to taste.
Would red (kidney) beans work in this as well, or would they be too heavy? I LOOOOOVE red beans in salads.ReplyDelete
I just realized I never responded to your comment! I bet red beans could work although you are right that they might be a bit heavier. It would also make the salad only two colors instead of three. (Assuming that matters to some people.) Maybe a mix of white and red? :)ReplyDelete