|Turkey Meatloaf in Bell Pepper Rings.|
Turkey Meatloaf in Pepper Rings
Serves: 4 - 6
- 3 bell peppers, any color, cores and seeds removed
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 28-ounce can Italian style diced tomatoes (with basil)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 egg
- A few dashes Worcestershire sauce
- A few dashes Tabasco
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
|Bell pepper rings.|
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Coat a large glass baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Slice bell peppers into 1-inch rings and place in the baking dish. You should get three to four rings per pepper.
- In a large bowl mix together ground turkey, bread crumbs, 1/2 cup of the tomatoes, garlic, onion, egg, chopped sage, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fill each pepper ring with the meat mixture. Overfill slightly as the mixture will "shrink" as it cooks.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté meatloaf rings in batches until both sides are golden brown, a few minutes per side. Return to the baking dish.
- Pour the remaining tomatoes over the meatloaf rings and bake in oven until cooked through, 20 - 25 minutes.
For a flavor bonus, top the meatloaf rings with fried sage when ready to serve.