Day 4: Monday, January 7
Assignment: Find a spot in your home that you rarely sit in that gives you a view on a room or area that you feel is especially problematic and spend 10 quiet minutes there.
There are a number of places in our home where I could have spent my 10 minutes but I opted for our living room. Even though it is called a living room, we don't really do a lot of living in this space. However, when we have friends over, the living room is the best place to gather.
I sat in one of these two fabulous, 70s, yellow-flower-covered chairs that we got from my parents:
I'm not being sarcastic about their fabulousness -- I really love these chairs. We even designed the rest of our living room around them. I suppose when you have chairs that look like they do you kind of have to work with them...or else you're working against them.
I spent a nice, quiet 10 minutes in the chair closest to the wall and some of my observations included:
- Our big black coffee table totally covers up our awesome rug. We need a glass topped one.
- I really like our couch.
- That frame is crooked.
- We should hang that mirror that is sitting under the table.
- One of the things I initially loved about this house was how open and bright the living room and dining room are because of the floor plan and windows. I still love that.
- I should hang those guitars that are sitting next to me in the office and put the cases in the garage.
- ...and a bunch of other thoughts that I can't recall now because I didn't write them down.
When the time was up, and I had since gained an orange kitty in my lap, I got up and fixed that crooked frame. Sort of. It never seems to hang correctly. I need to tape part of it to the wall...