Assignment: Create a Landing Strip and Start Using It
This is creating a filter for the things entering our home, near the front door. It includes:
- A Doormat
- Coat Hooks/Hangers
- A Landing Strip
Starting to use the Landing Strip means, upon arriving home:
- Hang your coat
- Put keys and wallet in their spots
- Take off your shoes
- Empty the things from your bag that you won't need the next time you leave and hang your bag(s)
- Sort mail immediately in the landing strip
We already have a lot of this covered...
- A Doormat -- We have one although I would also like to get some for the other doors in our home. I have added this to our to shopping list.
- Coat Hooks/Hangers -- We have a small mirror/shelf/key hook thingy near our front door.
- Hang your coat -- I rarely wear a coat (thanks, California weather!) but my honey sometimes wears one and always puts it in his closet when he gets home.
- Put keys and wallet in their spots -- My keys and wallet stay in my bag. My honey has a designated spot in our bedroom for his.
- Take off your shoes -- When either of us gets home, we always put our shoes in our closet.
- Empty the things from your bag that you won't need the next time you leave and hang your bag(s) -- This is a great idea and one I will start practicing on a more regular basis.
- Sort mail immediately in the landing strip -- We actually have separate landing and departure strips. Our departure strip is on our entry table. This is where we put things that need to leave our house, such as Netflix DVDs, my car registration sticker and card, or the National Geographic magazine that my parents lent to us because it had an article about Cuba in it. Our landing strip for mail is in our kitchen because that is closer to the side door where we bring in our mail and it is also conveniently close to garbage and recycling cans. We do need a new shredder and it can live next to the garbage and recycling cans. Here are photos of both spots:
|Departure Strip on our entry table.|
|Landing Strip on our freshly cleaned counter.|